Forgiveness:

I read a great article on forgiveness this morning. I thought I would pass it along to you!

I had an awkward moment several years ago on our staff retreat. Our female children’s minister forgot to lock the bathroom door and I caught her sitting on the toilet. You should have heard her scream. But that wasn’t the most awkward moment. The real awkwardness came during one of our team discussions. I made a statement that came out the wrong way and was not well received by our lead pastor. Nothing was said about it at the time, but it evidently struck a nerve.

A few months later when discussing a related topic with him, my comment made back at the retreat came up. I was floored. I had no idea that my words had been so offensive. Ironically, the whole situation created anger and resentment in me: I was mad at him for being mad at me. Eventually, we talked things through and made amends, but the experience left me with a different perspective on forgiveness. I had seen the other side of forgiveness.


Unresolved conflict festers. Like a wound without treatment, it doesn’t heal properly. When hurt, anger, or resentment comes creeping into our relationships, we must deal with it quickly. Colossians 3:13 says, “Bear with one another, and if one has a complaint against another, forgive each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.”


Lingering bitterness not only damages our horizontal relationships, it hinders our relationship with God. That’s why it is so important to handle conflict with grace. In the same way that God is quick to forgive us, so we should be quick to forgive others.


As ministers, we work so closely with people that it is impossible not to experience a few rough edges. Conflict can arise with other staff, volunteers, parents, and even students. Sometimes we’ll be the ones who do the hurting, and other times we’ll be on the receiving end. Whatever the situation, be the first one to make a move.

Seek reconciliation.

Be a peacemaker.

And humbly live the forgiveness we have received from Christ.

0 comments: